Family

Adalene - plainview, New York

The most important thing in my life is my family. Many people say that you can choose who your friends are but you can’t choose your family, but I wouldn’t choose it any other way. Each person in my family is very different yet very much alike. Although many of us have different opinions, we all know that our family is always there for us. Relationships can’t be perfect in life because there’s just so much to fight about, but with family they’ll always forgive you.

I find it hard to choose one person who is important in my life because in my life it’s not just one person but a whole family. They’re all important to me because they have all helped me and most importantly each other through all the rough patches. It may seem strange that I have chosen my family as most important rather than one person, but with my family it’s normal. My mom’s side of the family all live in New York which as you can imagine that makes us very close. My family is made up of many different people but we always spend time together for the holidays. On every special celebration, we always share them with one another by either going out to dinner or staying at home and making food together. Some might think it’s strange to spend so much time together, but the most valuable thing to all of us is our family. My mom always says that with friends it’s hard to forgive but with family you’ll always be forgiven.

It’s always seen in movies how families fight and never forgive each other, but with my family, the hard times pass because we know that it’s not worth it all to fight. Although fights may occur, judgments are never passed around. The strength of our family isn’t able to be broken by small fights because we all know that the happiness of the family is most important. Some of us may choose to keep the hatred deep within ourselves but it’s often a passing thought.

People often complain how they are forced to spend time with family but with my family, we aren’t forced to eat dinner together or spend time with one another, we choose to. With us, it’s the happiest time of the year when a holiday or special occasion comes because that’s the time we spend together laughing and eating a large dinner with one another. And that’s why I believe that my family is the most important thing in my life. My family is just like the leaves of a tree. As the seasons change, our relationships may change or spread apart, but when it comes to the end we all grow back together as one. It’s not a pain to share time with family but an honor to be able to share the moments with each other.