Travelling The Globe Can Be Eye Opening

Meredith - Newnan, Georgia

I believe that travelling the world is vital to learning about different cultures. I’ve grown up travelling the world since I was little. Every time I go somewhere I haven’t been before, I feel like I’m like stepping into a brand new world. Sometimes it’s hard to imagine that the cities I visit are even on the same Earth. Everything is foreign and unfamiliar at first, but in time, I always get used to the sights, tastes, and noises that I am not used to in my home country.

Experiencing different cultures and societies can be eye opening and force you to learn new things about diversity and the way that other people live. I have been broadened in every country I have visited. Walking in the grass beside the Blue Mosque, hiking through the Olive Tree groves on the Italian Coast, and looking out over the Urubamba Valley at Machu Picchu have been privileges that have changed me forever.

My brother loves to travel just as much as I do. In that respect we are kindred spirits. I have watched his travels mold his personality over the years. I’ve listened to his stories, seen his pictures, but I always know that he is not telling me everything. I can see it in his eyes that there is so much he is holding back. There are stories he keeps from me and adventures he will never tell me. By travelling so much myself, I understand why he keeps everything to himself. The secret things that only he knows are indescribable. It’s the reason I’ve never even shared my stories with my best friends. If I tried to explain what I’ve learned or seen through my experiences, I fear the memories would be distorted, and it wouldn’t be the same as when I first lived it. Have you ever heard that saying, “A picture makes up a thousand words?” Well words are not meant to describe everything. Words can only recreate beauty to a certain extent.

I don’t have a favorite trip, or a favorite place. All of them mean something different to me and every country is so unique in its own way that there is no way I could ever compare them to each other. The memories that I’ve made with all of the different people and landscapes, are memories that only I hold, and memories that will stay with me the rest of my life.

Travelling has helped me learn so much: as a student and especially as a person. I believe that it is important for each of us to have a good understanding of the cultures, traditions, and diversities that make up our world. Some people don’t know there is so much out there to discover and explore. The moment you experience something foreign, it opens up a whole new set of questions and it creates a better understanding of the world and the way other humans live.