I believe in a college football playoff

Jim - Peachtree City, Georgia
Themes: sports

I believe in a college football season where teams with one loss are not punished for weak media exposure or strength of schedule or bias.

For too long has college football gone without a playoff, with the overwhelming media coverage in college football today each season brings thousands more fans to a sport that does not need help growing. Fans listen to the media, players listen to the media, and the media has been screaming for a playoff for years. Not to mention the millions of fans that have already been asking for a playoff. Fans who don’t know much about the sport are yelling for a playoff because that is what everyone is talking about. And yet the NCAA somehow still finds a way to ignore these screams and continue with the most flawed system n the history of sports, the BCS. The Bowl Championship Series has found ways to screw up the college football postseason for the past 10 years, sometimes even appearing as if it goes out of its way to screw up the bowls.

Every other major college sport has a playoff, and all pro sports have a playoff. College football is still in the Stone Age when compared to every other sport with regards to the postseason. Too many times have deserving teams not been given a chance to play for the national championship. The 2007-08 season was a perfect example of this flawed system at work. In the final week of the regular season number two ranked West Virginia lost in a game that would have put them in the national championship against one loss Ohio State. This left the question what teams should play in the national championship? LSU lost their regular season finale against Darren McFadden and Arkansas and then beat Tennessee in the SEC Championship. LSU finished with two losses and was ranked number 7 before the final polls came out. USC had two losses and was ranked number 8. Georgia also had two losses and was ranked number five and was considered to be the probable team to face Ohio State in the championship. But amazingly LSU jumped from number 7 all the way to number two and were slated to play Ohio State in the national championship. Georgia had been passed over, unfairly, in my opinion. LSU went on to win the championship while two other deserving teams, Georgia and USC, won even more convincingly in their bowl games.

College football needs a playoff desperately. I propose an 8-team playoff where the top 8 teams in the AP poll play in a playoff for a chance at the national championship. The current system is awarding the luckiest team in college football, not the most talented or the best. College football is in desperate need of a playoff and will not have a true, undisputed champion until a playoff format is used.