I believe I Should be able to Choose what I Learn

Mary Turner - Newnan, Georgia

I believe that in high school we should be able to choose the classes we want to take. Sitting in a classroom trying to grasp and care about what my science or math teacher is saying is a hard thing to do. It is hard because why would I want to waste my time learning something I will never use. Especially nine months into the school year. When summer is just down the road and my teachers are trying to convince me that what they are saying will make a difference in my life. When I am in Geometry the only thing I can think about is when I will ever use the Pythagorean Theory or how to find in area of a circle. I know these will help me in later math but why learn the higher math courses if I am never going to use it.

I find English, writing class, and history to be the most important. In these classes I have actually learned something that I will use outside of school. I learn grammar and how to write an essay or a thank you letter which is more important because I know no matter what career path I choose I will use these skills for the rest of my life.

I believe you learn more outside of a classroom then you do in, though I have used my knowledge of writing and grammar all over the world. I have been blessed to have been the places I have been. My dad pulls my sister and me out of class often to go on trips. I have missed more days of school then I have attended, but the experiences I have had are not any comparison to what I can learn in a school. What I have learned on those trips has helped me become who I am and not to take anything for granted. I have learned to treat the man who carries our bags to our room and my elders with the same respect. These are life lessons which I believe will serve me well in the future.

When I meet my grandparent’s friends I know how to carry on an actual conversation. It varies from books I have read in class to my favorite places to go. I have never been asked anything about math or science nor do I think anyone cares about those classes. I have been asked about English and history though and what I have learned in both of them. Some classes I learn useful information but for the most part I use what I have learned outside of school that actually matters in life.