The Sounds of Silence

Garrett - Newnan, Georgia

I believe in the power of music. Music is an intricate part in all aspects of life. Think of a celebration? Is there music playing? Are people excited? If the answer to the first question is yes, then most likely the second answer will follow suit. People celebrate life with music. At any graduation, wedding, bar Mitzvah, baby shower, birthday party, proms, you will find in some shape or form a sound system or a live band singing songs of the season or any other kinds of contemporary or classical tune. Without, music life would endure a silence that not many people could bear. Any time I hear a major chord or a strong 5th harmony I get excited because music is such a large part of my life. Whenever I am feeling like things are too overwhelming I grab my iPod off my desk and scroll to the artists. I then click the center wheel and scroll down to the song that makes me feel like nothing is wrong and that everything in the world is right. The song is called “The way we get by” by the artist, Spoon. Whenever I hear this song play I know that everything is going to be okay and that whatever problems I have they could always be twenty times worse and that the natural balance of life will even out and good times will be rolling ahead.

Music can cater to what ever mood you feel. No matter how you feel and what you want to hear you can find a song that is perfect for what you need it for. Angry? Try a hard song to dance around like a maniac until you have burned the excess energy that was the fire to your anguish. Feeling blue? Try a soft rock or sappy love song to reflect on what is bothering you, then to change your mood in to a brighter one, try a fast song that makes you get excited and gets you wanting to dance to improve your out look on the situation or predicament that you were in. Music is always there, it is something you can count on and is the stable rock some people need to lean on. Music for some people is salvation. Music is the sound of the world, the sounds that keep people sane; music keeps them at bay, and off their belligerent paths. Music is the glue that holds people’s lives together, and keeps people from falling into self-destructing paths of drug and alcohol abuse and criminal paths that tear people’s lives apart. In the book Scartissue by the lead singer from the band, “The Red Hot Chili Peppers”, Anthony Kiedas tells the story about how his life was filled with troubles and sorrows, but the power of music held his life together and led him to be the millionaire and one of the most renowned musicians on the planet. I believe in the power of music and all it holds.