I Believe In A Person’s Right To Tan

Katherine - Newnan, Georgia
Themes: sports

I Believe

I believe in a person’s right to tan. If you want to go to a tanning bed and get a tan then you should be able to, it is your choice. You may be at a higher risk of getting a type of skin cancer but it is your decision what you want to do. I have not been a big user of the tanning bed, but I do not see much harm in it. I do like the tanning bed because; I am the type of person that likes to stay tan all year around. I do not like being very pale. Yes, it is not very good for your skin, but there are people out there who use it a lot more than me. I could see it being harmful if someone were to go everyday and lay for a long period of time. There are many adults that also lay in the tanning bed. The issue right now is they are saying that there are a lot more cases of skin-cancer and they believe they are being caused by the tanning beds. In many states already they have banned the use of tanning bed for kids under 16 years old and they are thinking about doing that everywhere. If tanning beds became banned for kids under 16, it would be a bigger issue than most people think. Some people own tanning beds, and have them in their house. What would they do about those people? Also the tanning bed business would not be making significantly less profit because there are many 16 year olds and people younger who use the tanning bed. These days when you sign up for a tanning membership, if you are not 18 years old you have to get your parents to sign the papers. I believe if your parents sign the papers and give you permission you should be able to tan. The member does not have to go tan every day, they can spread it out over a period of time.

So I believe that there is no reason in banning tanning beds, as long as they are used carefully, and as long as it is something that you decide you want to do.