MLB Changes

Seth - Tyrone, Georgia
Themes: sports

I believe Major League baseball should have more than eight teams that make it to the playoffs each season. The MLB clearly has the longest season in professional sports, 162 games, and a lot could happen in that long of a time period. In professional basketball, 16 teams make it to the playoffs and it makes the postseason a lot more exciting. In professional football, 12 teams make it to the playoffs. I think there should be more teams that make it to the playoffs in the MLB because it would give more teams a chance. In a 162-game season, bad things could happen to good teams and ruin their chances. An injury to a star player or a poor performance in a short stretch could ruin a baseball team’s chances for good. Some people would disagree and say that only the elite teams make it to the playoffs, but I think more elite teams should be included in the playoffs. I propose a 12 team playoff, with 6 teams making it in each league. There would be three division winners in each league, and then there would also be three wild card teams that would get in. The teams with the two best records in each league should get an automatic bye to the second round. If the MLB playoffs were like the NFL playoffs, I think it would be great for baseball and give more teams a chance.

Major League Baseball is said to be America’s favorite sport. That is why I believe more teams should make it to the postseason to make the playoffs more exciting. The best team could easily not make it to the playoffs because their star player got injured and the team had to learn to try to play without him. If there were more teams that made it to the playoffs, than that really good team that had an injury to their star would have another chance to prove themselves in the playoffs. Also, a playoff expansion would make the season longer, which is what the fans want. A playoff expansion would give other teams hope and an extra life. It would also make the MLB a lot more competitive. An example would be the Atlanta Braves. The Braves are a really good team and are always near the top, but the last two years they have not made the playoffs because their best player, Chipper Jones, has been injured some of the season. It is true that a playoff expansion could change who the MLB champions would be, but I believe the true champion should be the team that can last the longest and survive on the biggest and most intense stage of the season, the playoffs.