Chivalry is Still Alive

Ravi - Herndon, Virginia

Chivalry is Still Alive

I believe in doing small helpful tasks. This is Chivalry to me; it is an action and a belief. Chivalry is usually used when talking about Camelot knighthood. Camelot knights were prestigious, brave, wonderful, and charming men, but they aren’t perfect. Knights drank and killed on a regular basis. When knights were chivalrous they were always rescuing the “damsel in distress”, but I believe chivalry today is simply being respectful, courteous, and showing others that you care. It doesn’t even have anything to do with your sex. Both men and women can be chivalrous.

My parents raised me to be a respectful and well-mannered person. They taught me that you should respect everyone and help those who need it. I was also taught that it is important to be respectful with not only your actions but also with your words. I have always tried my best to follow these morals and I am thankful that my parents taught them to me. Being chivalrous towards a person makes you and that person feel good about themselves and it lifts their spirits. An act of chivalry can take away any feeling of loneliness or depression, even if it’s only for a brief moment.

On my first day of high school I wanted to make sure everything went well considering most people judge you on a first impression. I was dressed nice, on time, and ready for class as I was walking to class when I tripped, dropping my binder and all of my papers. Everyone was laughing at me. I was embarrassed and my pride was hurt. Out of the laughing hallway one guy came out of the crowd and helped me gather my papers. This act of chivalry erased all of my embarrassment and turned what would have been a bad day into a good one. If that guy hadn’t been chivalrous towards me I might have lost social standing and self-esteem, because everyone would know me as the guy who tripped and got laughed at. After being helped out in the hallway I understood what chivalry really was and I decided to try my best to be chivalrous towards others.

Chivalry shows people that they aren’t alone and that you care about them, it can also inspire people. When I see someone help someone else it makes me want to help a person. Chivalry is so easy to do and I don’t even have to go out of your way. When I am walking down the street and I see someone drop something, I pick it up and give it to them. When I am out I hold the door for people and the next time I see someone drop their notebook and everything falls out, I will be sure to help them pick up the pages. These little actions take less than a minute of my time and they may seem pointless to you, but it may means the world to the person I am helping.

Every day I try to be as chivalrous as possible. I always hold and open doors for people. I will never hit anyone unless I absolutely have to for self-defense. I sometimes use offensive language, so I try my best to watch my mouth around people. No matter what I do I will always treat people with respect. As hard as I try I am not perfect, just like the knights. There are always chances to show chivalry, but I don’t always show it. I have seen people in need and have walked by without thinking twice. I have walked by without helping people because I am human, sometimes I am busy or just plain selfish, but either way I usually regret it and I feel bad.

Some people claim that chivalry is dead. Chivalry certainly is dying, but it isn’t dead yet. I will continue to practice chivalry till the day I die. Chivalry betters me and it betters society. People need to stop thinking of chivalry as a chore and they need to start showing and believing in it.