Michael - Norfolk, Virginia
Themes: family, setbacks

I believe in loyalty. I believe that being loyal to the people that are important to you is the most important aspect of life. I remember a time when my loyalty towards my brother was the only thing that kept him from behind bars.

It was a weekend back in 2006 when my brother and I were headed out to the bowling alley. My brother was wanted for a felony. I remember walking outside my house and immediately sensed that something was not right. There was a car parked at the end of the street facing the main highway. I had lived in that neighborhood for ten years and I never once saw to white men sitting in their car on my street. So I told my brother to stay in the house and I went to check the mailbox. The two men got out of their vehicle and approached me while I started to walk back to the house.

I remember them asking me what my name was and all those penetrating questions. I told them my name and that I had no further information to give them and I started walking away from them. They told me to freeze and that’s when it happened. My brother was standing in the doorway watching the situation unfold when I gave him the signal to flee the scene and I turned back to towards them. They asked him his name, and he told them a fake name and shut the door. They asked me who it was that went in the house and I told them it was a friend of mine. The police officer called for reinforcement and with in thirty seconds there were at least ten police cars, two canine units, and a hop out truck in front of my house. I knew right then that I had to do something or they would get my brother, so I took off running. I knew they were going to catch me, but I was minor then so I would not get into any real trouble and my brother would escape. I eventually got caught, but they just let me go. My brother escaped and the police canine units searched our house.

The loyalty that I have for my brother is the reason that I protected him. I knew that he did something wrong but I could not stand by and let them take my brother. He had a child on the way that I knew he wanted to be around for. It was better for me to protect him than to let the police take him. Protecting my loved ones from hardship even if it cost me some form of pain is better than losing them.

Loyalty cannot be taught. I was born this way and I will remain this way forever. If I start something I’m going to finish it. If I care for someone I will protect them. I believe in loyalty.