A Shot in the Dark

Brennan - centerline, Michigan
Themes: democracy

Everything that I have believed at one point has proved false or evolved into a new thought due to some new piece of information that I have come across. I do not think that there is only one correct answer to any question. With the ongoing struggle of good and bad, I wonder why good has not triumphed yet. Everyone I have met or read about has claimed to be good, they say that what they believe is the truth and most will deny the possibility that any other belief could hold more truth than their own. Nothing is certain and everything is up for interpretation. These beliefs we claim are always changing due to our own life experiences, some strengthen and define them while others will just destroy them. It seems that the more we learn only shows us the little we know. So the only thing I can believe in is that the only definite is the indefinite, the only guarantee we can put stock in is the lack of there of one.

I have been christened and received my first communion but because of a couple wrestling tournaments I’ve never been able to make my conformation into the Catholic faith. I would not say that I was an ideal Catholic and in actuality I was probably far from it. I did the best I could and began to wonder whether my efforts would be eternally rewarded in heaven. I also started to wonder what would come of my friends that I met through school and sports. Most weren’t practicing Catholics and a good portion weren’t Catholic at all. Some of these people I came across are the most good-hearted people I’ve ever met. Does a lack of faith or exposure of faith condemn you to an eternity in hell? Surely this could not be right. There has to be more to life then following a series of rules.

I searched for answers in history but came up empty handed as for who is right. The church among other organizations has done bad in the name of good and they have also saved countless lives and have done a lot of good. It is impossible to decipher what is true on a topic based on faith and events that occurred around two thousand years ago. After this realization I could no longer put my faith completely in the hands of the Catholic church nor any other organization.Beliefs are often interpreted as definite answers, leading to conflicts between beliefs; the causes of fear, hatred, and war. Currently the United States is at war with multiple organizations that believe Americans are responsible for all their problems. We may never completely agree on something as a race but we do not have to persecute each other for our beliefs because after all, you could be wrong.