I Believe in Literacy

Victoria - Virginia Beach, Virginia

Since an early age I have loved to read and write, not just for need, but enjoyment. Reading has always taken me away and opened my eyes to new worlds and experiences in front of me. In a few words I can be exploring another country, going back in time, or even meeting a president. Writing, too, opens my mind. It allows me to express myself and dig deeper into my imagination. I am thankful that I can read and write anything that I want to. I know that I have a greater appreciation of my abilities, from the fear of lack of them. I feel more people should be able to feel the greatness and magic of being able to read and write.

I believe in the power of literacy. I feel as though it is a key to an open door. It can propel a person to do better in life. It can change a nation for the better .

There are approximately 55 countries in the world that have a literacy rate of less than 80 percent. This is a problem and a hindrance to society growing as a whole. There are people that are literally left behind because of their lack of literacy. It is hard to take care of one ’s self when one is illiterate. It is even harder to take care of and maintain a family when one is illiterate. The conditions that are created by illiteracy can often leave a country with a greater issue of poverty. Reading and writing are necessary for getting and maintaining most jobs, taking public transportation, or even furthering ones education. Being able to get and maintain a job, get to a place where one needs to go to, and having some form of education are all factors that identify a person’s productivity within their country. Without literacy it is hard to function properly in society. This reality, unfortunately, can hold a nation back.

Education is important and can be seen as a solution to the issue of illiteracy. Ignorance is not bliss in the case of properly functioning in society. That is, it is not bliss in the case of getting a job and maintaining it, having a roof over your head, food to eat, and having some form of transportation. I feel that a Universal education and or a promotion of literacy across the nations should be put into effect. Universal education would include making available affordable if not free education that stresses literacy for all countries including both developed and developing countries. By bringing education to all countries I believe that literacy rates would be increased across the board, and that changes in society as a whole would be seen immediately. Uniformed literacy could increase upward mobility, make nations more productive, and lead to a more united world. The importance of literacy should not be underestimated, but addressed .I believe with the power of literacy that the world could be changed for the better.