Becoming Couch Potato’s

Zack - USA
Themes: science

I believe technology is changing our society. Everything that I know and love is being reshaped or altered in some way. Some of these changes are for the better and some of them are for the worse. Technology is growing every day; this growth is leading to an abnormal rate of progress that will eventually spoil the human race.

But, not all hope is lost. This progression in technology has led to many benefits in my current lifestyle. Instead of having to sit in a room to listen to my music on a boom box, now I can just pull out my iPod. Cell phones have gone from needing a backpack to being the size of my hand. Technology has also greatly improved our medical care. I personally can thank technology for still having a grandfather and mother. There is no doubt that technology has improved my life, making them faster and more efficient. The question is; where do we draw the line?

I think that technology should not advance anymore because it is beginning to take over. Technology is beginning to make people in our society lazy and unmotivated. Today, I would rather sit inside and watch TV then to go outside and play. My own younger brother does nothing but sit in his room and play video games all day every day except when forced to bathe and eat. Many people tend to complain about unemployment in our day and age. Most look to the government to come up with some human resource project to employ people. The real answer, give the jobs back to humans that have been given to machines. Granted, machines are faster and more accurate with their work, but in the grand scheme of things people need to work. If technology keeps progressing then what is to stop machines from taking over every aspect of our lives. Instead of a mother feeding a baby, a robot will do it. Finally I would also like to state that technology could fail. Every day computers crash, fax machines jam, and anything else.

We are obsessed with efficiency in our country. What will happen when the day comes when everything is running on machines and they fail? What happens when we are so spoiled by machines that we become like the people in Wall-e, we just float around on chairs becoming fat and obese letting machines bring us food, move us, change our clothes, brush our hair, etc. So, I ask you again, where do we draw the line with the progression of technology?