My Determination is Football

Dameon - Alexandria, Virginia

I believe that in everything you do in life you have to put your all into it. I have always been taught by my parents, aunts and uncles and mainly my grandmother that there is no reason why you should do something half way. Football is one activity that helps me make sure I live by this principle.

Football is possibly the only thing that I can say that I have never gave up on. I have said that I wanted to quit plenty of times but I never would because I don’t know what I would do with myself if I could not play. Football even helped me get through high school. My mother would always tell me that she would take me off of the team if I got any grade lower than a C in any of my classes. This explains why my best grades on my report cards were in the first quarter when I was playing football. I was willing to do anything possible for me to play football.

However, sticking with football was no easy task. I had been injured many times and faced the possibility have having surgery but that never deterred me from playing the game that I love so much. And I sometimes had the feeling of quitting the team because I always had to pay for other teammates mistakes. People constantly made the same mistakes and as one of the team’s captains, my coaches always looked to us for an explanation as to why it happened to begin with. But no matter how many times I said that I wanted to or that I would quit the team, I never had the heart to do it. I have asked myself many times why I did not quit but I could never come up with the answer. I believe it was because of the simple fact that I have been taught not to quit.

In the end, never quitting the sport that I loved had its benefits. After a tough season my senior year, I was surprised to be named 2nd team all district tackle. I was also invited to play in the all star game. I had no idea my coach submitted my name for any of the two but I am glad he did. He helped me to realize that hard work pays off in the end. And it’s not just football that has taught me this. My parents and family members have told me hard work pays off many times but I think that me playing football helped that message hit home for me.