step Forward

brandon - vienna, Virginia

Man, as a little all I wanted to do is be like every pro athlete that was at their prime. How could I manage to be as good or imagine I was as good as MJ or Cal Jr.? I jut laced up my Nikes and went off to be the next superstar athlete. I believe in Nike. There has been a set of Nikes on my feet since I can remember. All my sports fantasies came true in my Nikes. I was the starting pitcher for the Chicago Cubs and had thousands of screaming fans await my appearance under the lights at Wrigley field. I was the starting point guard for the Chicago Bulls. There was no one that could tell me otherwise if I was in my Nikes.

The black top was our thunder dome and I was MAD MAX. We just instead had no two men enter one-man leave as the ultimatum like the thunder dome; you know one has to die at the end. Yet, It was elementary school for god sakes, competition though could have never been more intense. The basketball game that day would not just come down to just who had won, but who could say they won because they were the pro that had his name on the side of the endorsed shoes that they had on that day. The black top was fun and all though that is not were we dwelled. My Nikes and I were nomads. Countless days playing wall ball at Yeanos park with my friends. The hundreds of knee scrape from sliding at Glyndon playing stickball. The endless games of home run derby in my front lawn which always ended in running away from my neighbor because of a broken window, and great memories in my neighbor Tommy’s back yard playing lacrosse and hurling tennis balls at squirrels. My fondest child hood memories could only be everlasting with a dependable pair of Nikes on my feet.

After all the dust settled from our games of sandlot stickball where would my Nikes and I do next? With a pair of Nikes I was strapped in and on the blazing trail to explore and find adventure. O boy did I have adventures. It was the summer after third grade and I had just begun summer SACC and for the day we were going to go for an adventure hike along the local creek. We all had or nets and buckets ready for the wildlife we were hoping to encounter. No one though had what would entail on our mock Lewis and Clark expedition. We had to wade through chest deep waters and crawl over boulders. We were able to find some minnows and crayfish to scoop and collect in our buckets. I found a newt that day and named him Mr. Bigglesworth. We kept him in the rec rooms fish tank after that day. I also gained stains and scuff that served as reminders of my adventure that day, and they were always just a few feet away right on my Nikes. They served as a living autobiography.

Nike is my link to my past and all of life’s great memories for me. I believe in Nikes because they are always there to have great memories and take you there one step at a time.