I believe in the power of Friendship

Karlaa - Newport News, Virginia

I believe that friendship makes the world go round. Everyone needs a friend, especially a best friend that you can tell anything.

I never knew how much I needed a friend until my first boyfriend broke my heart. We had been going steady for about 3 months and I thought I was in love. Three weeks later it all started to go downhill. He stopped calling, he got tired of hugging and kissing me. I was stuck, confused and lost about what happened. He broke up with me at 12 am on my 17th birthday. I called one of my friends who lived in a different time zone. She talked to me on the phone and helped me calm down because I was hyperventilating. When I finally went to sleep ,I had the worst nightmare. I cried in my sleep. I woke up with puffy eyes and looked as if someone had beat me up. The next morning was a school day. I got up depressed and refused to eat. As soon as I entered the school and saw my best friend Karina, I cried in her arms. I cried the whole first block. After two more days of depression and not eating my friends decided to intervene. They made sure I ate and took me out on girl dates. When I would go home, I would fall back into depression, but my friends kept on working with me until I could be alone and not cry.

The best thing that cheered me up was that, Karina took me out to the mall. She asked my dad for cash so she could buy me something. Her mom also chipped in some money. Karina drove us to the mall and we bought very cute outfits. Then we went to the spa and got a massage for $30. After that we went out to the club. She took me out and made me look at myself always to see what a mess I had become. I saw how I had bags under my eyes from sleepless nights and crying. As she helped me put me on my makeup, she told me that each bit of makeup means I could not cry anymore. We took pictures all day. She made me throw away everything that would make me think of him. She allowed me to keep one thing, but took it from me only to give it back after I was truly over him. We partied the night away and made sure I didn’t stop once to think about him. I got over that boy, and even after it had been three months and I was still crying, she did not judge. Karina is my best friend, and she clearly defines the acronym BFF, Best Friend Forever.

I believe that no girl can survive without her female friends.