The wrong type of farming

Nicky - Las Vegas, New Mexico

I believe that factory farming is wrong. This belief came from

an experience I had when I was little. On a trip to South Dakota, I passed many factory farms. I saw animals crowed in small pens. The farms smelled terrible. I could see big piles of manure everywhere. I saw dead animals

around the living areas of other animals. It was disgusting! All the manure piles and dead animals were everywhere.

Recently, my class visited a website and researched the difference between free-range farming and factory farming. WOW! Right before my eyes, I was able to explore more of what I saw a small glimpse of in South Dakota.

What I saw was the living conditions of animals. They were put into cages the exact same size as the were. These animals could not even turn around. They stood in their own waste and ate off the filthy ground. These animals were put in small pens with a ton of other animals. These holding places are dark and cold. I don’t get it! People have the right to rome around, these animals should have that same right. Chickens are not treated much better, they are de-beaked and put in cages that are small and stacked on top of each other with a wired base. The poop falls onto the chickens below them. Factory farms put antibiotics and hormones into the animal’s food. I don’t like that they put hormones in the animal’s food.

I am in 4-H and some children give their animals hormones. Their animals are always the biggest animals. Yeah, their animals are the biggest, but I want to whose animal is the healthiest? The antibiotics are used to treat any and all diseases the animals may have gotten. The hormones are used to make them grow bigger and to produce more meat and milk. It is wrong that they push them to the limit to produce more and faster.

The animals are not the only ones getting hurt by this practice. The workers, the consumers, and the environment are also affected. The dangers that the workers face when packaging the meat are serious. If the machine is going too fast they can cut off their finger or hand. I don’t understand why these workers can’t work in a safe area.

Consumers are hurt by this practice of factory farming because we get illnesses from eating such meat. I think that the owners don’t care that we get sick. All they care about is getting money into their pockets.

Factory farming is also hurting the environment. The air is polluted and the water turns brown. The waste gets into the rivers and streams. Gross! This could be someone’s drinking water.

Stop supporting factory farming by not buying factory farmed meat, eggs, and other dairy products. Instead start buying certified organic or free range food. We could make a difference. I strongly believe that factory farming is wrong.