Cooking with Love

Maricela - Las Vegas, New Mexico

This I believe that restaurants should make their food with love, instead of making food only to get money in return, people should focus on making food out of pure love.

In my culture there is a little saying “ panza llena, corazon contento,” which means full stomach makes for a happy heart. My mom taught me about the meaning of this saying by taking the time to teach me how to make sopapillas. She showed me how to roll out the sopapilla dough. She made sure to teach me how to make my sopapillas the best and the fluffiest of them all. She took the time to teach me how to cook my food, food from my childhood. Most importantly, she taught me how to love what I’m cooking no matter what it is. When I cook with love it is coming from my heart, which makes a big difference in how the food tastes. When I cook with love it taste good, but if I cook with anger, it may have a bad presentation or taste weird.

On hot summer days at my family’s restaurant I sometimes have to clean beans. Our beans are the cleanest beans that anyone could ever buy, but my mom insists that I clean them again. Every now and then, I go to a fast food restaurant to get some kind of food and I realize that it is really greasy. Then I don’t want to eat it, but I don’t want to waste it, so I still eat the greasy food anyway.

When I’m cleaning the beans at the restaurant, I think of how many restaurants don’t have clean food. It makes me disgusted. Before my grandma past away, I was cleaning the beans with her and she told me “We got to clean the beans good we can’t miss any bad ones.” When I make pumpkin pies I always think of when I made them with my grandma and how she kept on telling me to “Wash your hands before you start”, and she would also tell me to “put your hair up, we don’t want to get any hair in the food.” I think my grandma told me these things because she really cared about the food, and the people that ate it. My grandma was a strong lady who cared about everything and everyone. I still remember the times when she would save any and all food for my dog Tiger. She always made sure that even he had the best food that he could get. I believe that everyone should cook out of pure love.