Migrant farming is unfair

Leroy - Las Vegas, New Mexico

I believe the treatment of migrant farm workers is unfair. These people work everyday, and they get paid little amounts of money. The farmers could barley earn enough money to feed their family. Some farmers die of the diseases because of working in the fields or because they don’t have enough money to go to the doctor. Most migrant farm workers are tired of it, but have no choice but to work hard and get paid little to nothing to feed their family.

I believe migrant farmers should get paid an equal amount of money for the work they do. The landowners should pay fair wages. Then the landowners don’t care if a migrant worker is treated inhumanly, just as long as they take care of their fields. They don’t care if a migrant worker dies of disease; they’ll just hire someone else to take their place. I think the landowners should do something about this problem. The farmers should have enough money for food for their family and for paying the bills. Their children should be able to go to school, get a good education, have nice clothes and a nice safe place to live.

When I heard that problems like this happen in New Mexico, I thought it was cruel. I know how it is to be treated unfairly. For example, when I was younger and my dad took me to Cliffs in Albuquerque. I was so excited to get on all on the rides. Then I went to one where I had to be at least 4 feet tall to ride. When I got measured I was just a little under the line. I was so mad and hurt because it was not fair that the kids in front of me could get on the ride and I couldn’t.

Migrant farmers think that they are treated unfairly and that’s why most people in Mexico try to cross the boarder. I think that migrant farm working is almost the same as slavery. Migrant farmers could barley earn enough money to pay for their bills, so their children work day and night to earn money for the bills that need to be paid. Then I wonder sometimes why the landowners treat the migrant farmers like this, and don’t do anything. Then because the farmers could quit their job and if they do, the stock markets that are in united stats by Mexico City will have trouble not having enough food for the market. Then so you can pick the kind of food that you like, and so the market doesn’t shut down because of not having enough money to pay the workers that work at the market. Than tell me why migrant farmers should get treated like this.