I hate Hershey

Eli - Las Vegas, New Mexico

I believe that free trade is not fair. My belief began at school. I started learning about the way huge companies mistreat their workers. I then went home and talked about what I learned with my mom and my dad. We talked about this topic and the more and more we talked the more I realized how serious of a problem this is.

I’ve read essays that explain how these workers live. Their lives are full of misery. There are many people who suffer from maltreatment due to working in the fields. Having a life like this would not be good for anyone.

I do not think that it is the least bit fair that parents lose their children to the fields and these high top companies could care less. Children are sold into slavery. Children lose education to the fields. They throw away any chance of a decent life. Children are worked to death. These unlucky children may never have a chance for friendship. Children are abused. No more child labor!

Free trade is the trading of objects for something of equal value, the trade is never fair. One reason is because; growers are paid very low wages for their hard work. The wages are not enough to pay for a person let alone a family. If you were a migrant worker you would be treated like dirt, you would considered to be an inanimate object. The huge companies like M&MS, Hershey’s and many others have slavery in there midst. They could easily stop the slavery, but don’t. I wonder why they don’t! It’s probably because slavery is how the company profits. It would cost far too much for these companies to do the right thing. But they could easily wipe slave labor out by simply watching their plantations closer, but they don’t. All this for one dollar a day? Yes some companies only give one dollar a day or even less. All this makes me furious because the companies get away with it. Just think about it the chocolate we eat could have come at the cost of a life or two. It could have killed moms, dads, brothers, sisters, grammas, grandpas, and cousins. Think that candy, Could have killed an entire family. Companies allow this because they want more money and more power. Remember this the next time your eating a Hershey’s bar. All this could stop if we, would stop buying these companies products .Without our support these big companies would be nothing.