Jordan - Norfolk, Virginia

I believe in people’s ability to choose to be kind hearted. Every day, every minute, we as people make decisions; some of our decisions are made consciously and others subconsciously. When it comes down to it, what good does it do anyone to be mean? Who knows what a person can change by doing one small act of kindness?

These acts of kindness can often be an action as simple as smiling at someone who is having a bad day or leaving a waitress a couple extra dollars for a tip. You never know how much the little things affect someone until you are on the other side of the situation. There are also things like letting someone cross the street before driving through the light because it is raining, or giving a person who is down on their luck the change from the five dollars you just broke because you know the person really needs it. This could also go as far as a kind act, like being kind to a friend, such as listening to your friend complain about the guy that keeps screwing her over because you know it makes her feel better. At least for me, it is the little things. Everyday my friends do countless acts of kind-hearted things, most of the time they probably don’t even realize they are doing them, or how much it is appreciated.

More specifically, I am referring to the kind hearted things that are done for other people solely to help them, with no expectation of personal gain. The smallest act of kindness can open a person’s heart and make the person see the world in a whole new light, much like a young child who doesn’t know the complexity of the world. A perfect example of a random act of kindness is going up to the new girl in school, or anywhere, and asking her to come sit with you so she does not have to be all alone. One of my very good friends did that for me after I changed school junior year, and I will always be grateful to her for that. It showed me how one act of kindness can change a whole situation. We should always try and show love and kindness to others even when, and especially when, they do not or cannot show it in return. You never know what changing a person’s attitude about a bad situation can do for him or her. Changing your attitude makes hard things easier to deal with and bad situations not as bad. Just imagine, you could be that one changing factor in how a person’s day goes, even if you never knew it.

So, be a good friend to someone, even if it’s a stranger, you never know how much that person might need it. You do not lose anything from your day by doing something nice for someone else, or by making someone else’s day a little better. Hold open a door, share an umbrella, or say thank you to the bus driver. While it may be the bus driver’s job, sometimes it’s nice to know what you do is appreciated or that it matters to someone. We make choices every day. We and we alone have the ability to decide how to treat other people. Why not choose to be kind hearted, to make the world a little bit of a better, happier place?