Love, Truth, Honor

David - Alexandria, Virginia
Themes: integrity, love

“To Believe in the life of love, to walk in the way of honor, to serve in the light of truth. This is the life, the way, the light of Sigma Nu. This is the creed of our fraternity.” Founded by three cadets at the Virginia Military Institute, Sigma Nu represented a radical departure from the times of turmoil and despair. The system of physical abuse and hazing of underclassmen at VMI led James Frank Hopkins, Greenfield Quarles, and James McIlvaine Riley to form the “Legion of Honor” which soon became Sigma Nu Fraternity. So, amidst a backdrop of turmoil, North America’s first “Honor” fraternity was established. Sigma Nu has given me the first step towards success. Before I reached college I never would have thought a fraternity was the thing for me. However, I found a group of people who will be behind me in anything and principles that will lead to my success later in life.

Sense I began my journey into brotherhood, my goals, beliefs, and actions have been inspired by the principles of Love, Honor and Truth. I strive to foster personal growth of my mind, heart and character through these principals. First I must believe in a life of love. I strive to be faithful to myself, others, and the world around me. I shall not deceive, demine, or ostracize any other person without upholding the full consequences of my actions. I believe in a world without hate, treating everyone as if they were my brothers and sisters. Second, I walk in the way of honor. I believe in staying true to my knightly vows. My word is the truth and nothing else. I believe in living a chivalrous life, respecting the wishes of any brother or sister. When I am faced with a situation where my knightly vows could be compromised, I am resolved in removing myself from the situation. Last, I serve in the light of truth. I will respect anything built in God’s name. I see Christ as the Divine Compassion for struggling humanity. I will not stray from the light nor will I venture into darkness. I will humbly serve God’s word and venture on the path he has given me. All three of these principals are going to make me what I’m destined to become. I believe that it is my path is to follow these principles as close as I possibly can. Every day is a new day with new obstacles and challenges, both mental and physical. Love, Honor, and Truth will keep me going throughout my life.

I strive to uphold an image of a knight everywhere I go and in everything I do. My ultimate goal is to pass away knowing I succeeded in upholding my vows and exceeding my own limitation. I am a part of a group of gentlemen who exceed all expectations by serving god, themselves and the community. I am a Sigma Nu.