I believe people should not teach what they do not know

Kevin Smith - Norfolk, Virginia

I believe people should not teach what they do not know. In particular, the Christian religion was forced upon people by church’s centuries ago. By placing fear into people’s minds, church’s caused people to believe in a certain religion. As a result, people taught their children the religion that was forced upon them. Unfortunately, most children believe anything that is told by their parents. Eventually, the religion is taught through generations resulting in the religious belief appearing to be more of a truth than a belief.

When people are engaged in a conversation involving a religious topic, someone is bound to get defensive. People defend their religious beliefs because they view it as a truth and not a belief. Unfortunately, these people do not realize religious beliefs are only beliefs. A belief is not a proven fact. For example, some people like to say they are quoting the bible and say, “If you commit suicide, then you will go to hell.” As far as I am concerned, it is not a direct quote from the bible. Also, no one has died, went to hell, and came back to life to tell about it. Also, people like to say God wants this, wrote this, says this, or will do this. If religion was truth, then why are there so many different religious beliefs? The simplest question that can not be answered or proven is, “How do people know so much about what happens after death when no one alive has experienced it?”

We are all human; therefore, we are all equal. I say this because nobody is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. This includes people with titles such as priest, bishop, and the pope. Some people believe priests, bishops, and the pope are superior and closer to God than others. People with these titles are human too and are not perfect. These people preach the word of God, yet they do not know more than anyone else. People believe the bible states Gods intentions, yet a human obviously wrote it. People believe you have to go to church in order to be close to God. Going to church and listening to a fellow human’s interpretation of the bible does not bring you closer to God. Preaching religion is no different than someone with no experience in algebra trying to teach algebra.

I believe there is a God, but I will not let people who do not know any more than I do tell me how to live. I do not need a human to tell me God would want you to do this and not that. I have my own mind and I can make my own choices. I can clearly interpret what is right and wrong and I do not need someone to tell me the consequences of my actions. It is fine to believe in something, but it is not fine to force and teach something that has no evidence behind it.