Finding Our Own Truffula Trees

Hillary - Kitty Hawk, North Carolina

I believe in the Lorax. “Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” -The Lorax, Dr. Suess

My generation is faced with unwavering challenges. Ice is melting to the north faster than it ever has, biodiversity is being lost rapidly, and our society has grown a liking to consuming immeasurable amounts. Our problems are grand. They could possibly swallow us whole. Without a doubt, great change needs to be made. This change cannot be made by one person or even one organization, but instead by every person individually working to do his or her part in any way, shape, or form.

Just as the Lorax, a lowly creature who fights the Once-ler to save his town and the Truffula Trees, we all need to find a cause we are passionate about to fight for. Real change, I believe, starts at the local, individual level. It comes from the helping hand at a community fundraiser or the weekly trip to the farmers market or membership in a CSA. Change is rooted in the soils all of our communities waiting to be uncovered. I believe, that by reaching out and touching one flower, one animal, one person, the world can truly become a better place. The act of doing good has the ability to spread. Changing one person’s life will give them the motivation and courage to change another’s, then another’s. I believe this cycle is inevitable and powerful.

Our society is taking detrimental strides on our planet everyday. The things suffering most from this way of life in which we have become accustomed to are the things in life that cannot speak for themselves. I believe we all need to follow the Lorax in speaking for something we believe in and love, just as he spoke for the trees. If we take the approach that someone else will take over the responsibility, nothing will ever be accomplished.

I believe there is hope. I see it on my college campus, I read about it in the newspapers, and I hear the hum of it every day. Just as there is a driving force deep within me to leave my own mark on the world and work effortlessly towards protecting a part of the environment I am most passionate about, I believe this force is in each and everyone one of us. While the problems and responsibilities we are given to overcome might be daunting and intimidating, I also believe, that the challenges we face can easily be turned into my generation’s greatest accomplishments.