Working Hard

matthew - norfolk, Virginia
Themes: work

I try my hardest when all that is required is for me to accomplish my task. It is my nature to work hard, and do my job the best I can, and that is what I believe.

My dad grew up on a dairy farm, started building houses, and now owns his own company. He has never had anything easy been given anything. It is that principle of hard work that has been instilled in me all of my life. Regardless of how well something gets done, it can always be done better. I always try to do the best I can, not because that is what was expected of me, but because I do not know any other way. I helped build the fence around my fields at home on the weekends while I farmed beef cattle during the week.

To build wood fence, you have to dig post holes 3 ft. down, put the post in, align all of the posts, pack the post into the ground, and finally nail the boards on. To dig the holes we used a post hole digger on our 5420 John Deere tractor. There were many places that the tractor would not go though, and I had to dig the post holes by hand the old fashioned way. That was very slow and tedious work in the thick red clay that Chesterfield is known for. The post hole diggers would only go in about four inches each time I sunk the blades into the ground. Three feet felt like digging to the center of the earth, but after digging at least thirty I thought I was digging to China. After digging the hole you put the post in the ground. Then you have to make sure the post is level and in line with all of the other posts before you compact the soil around it to hold the post in place. Packing the soil is the hardest part. There is a tool called a road bar which is about 6ft. long and weighs about 40lbs. You have to pick it up and tamp down all of the soil with it around each and every post. I felt like I was training for an iron man competition. Then, you have to nail the fence boards and then the facia boards on. We just held them up at the right spot and used a nail gun to sink the nails. We had to build the fence around about 25 acres. It took us all summer to get it done, working on the weekends in record breaking temperatures.

I learned a lot that summer from building that fence. Not only about building fence, but also about hard work. My dad inspired me that summer by his hard work. I thought that if my dad who was in his 40’s could be out there on the weekends building fence then there was no reason that I could not either.

Everything that I do is hard work, from the farm, to waking up at 0500 every morning for pt. I have never been given anything in life, I have always had to work for it and earn it. Even though there are times that I do not feel like working the truth is that I love the hard work. It is in my blood.