I believe in duality

Sarah - Pine Lake, Georgia
Themes: change

In Tom Robbins Novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues the character the Chink presents the idea “I believe in nothing, everything is sacred” followed by “I believe in everything, nothing is sacred”. Most often holding conflicting viewpoints is discouraged and is often criticized if you openly express them. In the style of Robbins’s character I would like to share some of my beliefs.

I believe in that humans are essentially kind-natured, that people will help one another when it is needed and share what they have with those who are less fortunate. I also believe that humans are greedy and selfish by nature, and that given a chance they will seize an opportunity even if it is at the expense of others.

I believe in living like there is no tomorrow, to carry out my daily actions as if death was around the corner, to have no regrets and enjoy life to its fullest even if it means shirking some responsibilities. I also believe in saving for a rainy day, to be prepared for disastrous possibilities, to have a chance to retire and enjoy old age.

I believe that traveling and experiencing different cultures and foreign places enriches one’s life and teaches tolerance and appreciation. That travel teaches us to appreciate what we have, and that people no matter where they live, what language they speak, are really not that different. I also believe that living in the same area and never venturing outside of it makes better people. To really know and understand just one corner of this huge planet can shape ones life. By finding adventure and drama in the everyday can truly make someone wise.

I believe in that nothing we do as individuals matter, in that nothing that we do as a society, as a global community matters. I believe that there is no higher power, there is no omniscient being watching over us, lending us a helping hand no and then. We are utterly alone in the universe and that all the decisions we make are actually insignificant. I also believe that everything we do matters, every decision made by every individual matters a great deal, every action has a consequence. That there is a higher power and order to the world that we live in, and that we should respect and honor that. I believe that every life is valuable as the next, that even small things we do ripple throughout the world.

Mostly, I believe in duality. I believe that nothing is absolute, everything and everyone is in a state of constant change. While this may be hard to grasp, and while I may not be able in my own life to be so complacent in my conflicting views all the time and obsess and stress over details, I know I can step back and laugh at myself and all we do as a society. I believe that it was keeps this tragic/comedy going.