My Random Convictions

Brittney - Los Angeles, California
Themes: race

My beliefs are mostly random thoughts about things in life that are annoying or people’s behavior that annoys me. I believe people shouldn’t try to give advice and express religious beliefs when they are not living right themselves. For example, I find it hypocritical and disrespectful for a homosexual that claims to be a Christian to get up at a funeral and speak about the word of God when they’ve chosen to disobey His word on a daily basis. I’m comfortable listening strictly to the “words” of God coming from their mouth without associating them with the person saying it, but I think it is tasteless to preach what you don’t practice.

I can’t stand parents that have their children on leashes like they are baby pets. To me, the leash says either 1 of 2 things: 1) I have a short attention span and would forget my head if it wasn’t attached to my body, or 2) I’m a terrible, lazy parent that can’t keep my child disciplined enough to stay by my side and I don’t feel like being aware of their presence every second they’re with me. However, I believe it is none of my business why they leash their children; I just think the world has made it seem like parenting has become so difficult when it hasn’t.

I believe people use their race as a handicap, which annoys me. For example, I refused to go to a HBCU because 1) I would have automatically gotten an advantage, 2) even if I would have gotten A’s in all my classes, they would still be inferior to B’s at an equally ranked, non-HBCU, 3) they are a terrible representation and terrible preparatory schools for real world corporate America because those are not the faces you will see, and 4) I don’t accept anything based on my race; everything that I’ve achieved thus far has been because of my qualifications and hard work, not because of a handicap; otherwise, I wouldn’t accept it.

I believe when people assume they make an “ass” out of “u” and “me”. Life would run so much more smoothly if people would just ask questions when they are unsure instead of reacting based on assumptions. For example, throughout my life I’ve experienced people assuming that when I say something should be diversified, that I am speaking on behalf of African Americans, when in fact race is the last thing I mean. I hate it when people assume that all Black people’s ultimate agenda is based on fulfilling the “Black Power” movement. I am Brittney Bradford; I am a college-educated woman; I am many other things before I am Black; being Black does not make me who I am.

I believe people are their own worst enemy and are responsible for making their own opportunities. My beliefs are inspired by God’s word, but MOST IMPORTANTLY…I do not need ‘yea-’ or ‘nay-sayers’ for my convictions because This I Believe.