Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan

Jessica - New Iberia, Louisiana

I believe in “plan your work and work your plan.” When I was in elementary school, I struggled with studying and making good grades. I was later diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, Inattentive Type, and homework was a constant battle between my parents and me. Because I had trouble paying attention in class, I would miss things that my teachers would say, and this led to trouble completing my homework. Because of our similar personalities, my dad and I would constantly butt heads. He never gave up on me, and his motto for me was “plan your work and work your plan.”

Even though I teased him about that when I was younger, as I look back on my life so far, I realize that planning my work and working my plan is exactly what I have done. With the help of medication, studying techniques, and my parents, I learned to make my learning disability work to my advantage. I graduated from high school with a 3.5 GPA and I recently graduated from college with a 3.2 GPA. I believe that without my dad’s small nugget of wisdom, my life would have turned out very differently. With his help, I have learned the importance of making goals and sticking to them. He has taught me that when goals and ambitions change, that is God leading you in the right direction because the other one wasn’t right for you.

I also believe in hard work and determination because you can accomplish anything in life with these two traits. These, along with planning my work and working my plan, have shaped me into the person that I am today. I am a purpose-driven person with high ambitions and goals. I am working toward my Master’s of Social Work, and I hope to work in the mental health field. Without my dad’s goofy piece of wisdom, I never would have gotten this far.