My life in a Magic Eight Ball

Cherish - Mesa, Arizona

I believe in a world that’s not restrained by controlled thoughts and manners. I believe in the weird, the crazy. I believe in the absurd, the unimaginable. I believe in “outside the box”; in breaking through the corrugated edges of the mind; in emerging from the constraining social boundaries; in the ability to put your toe over the line, I believe that is freedom.

I’ve always enjoyed being “unique”. It’s never been difficult for me. During my elementary school years I had to wear an eye patch. I loved telling the little kids at McDonald’s that I wore an eye patch because my brother stabbed my eye out with a fork. Simply explaining that I had a lazy eye was just too boring.

I’ve never been particular on trying to be spectacular. Rather, more than anything, I just think differently. No spotlight necessary, just the pleasure of seeing the world in my own abstract way. So, perhaps my ideas and solutions are radical, extreme; but they are mine. Perhaps I’m too sarcastic, too quirky to ever be considered “normal” by society’s standards, but that is my own way of enjoying life.

I would be too bored doing things by “the book”. Why not read the last sentence of a novel first? Really, I see no problem eating ice cream with a fork.

Is it that people are afraid?

Were our little minds molded so firmly in youth by our parents and kindergarten teachers?

Apparently not mine.

Ok, so maybe my grass didn’t grow in first grade, and maybe my caterpillar in Mrs. Stevenson’s class died. Maybe I drove a roofless vehicle out in the middle of a field during a thunderstorm and thought it was a great idea. Maybe I do consult my magic eight ball for major life decisions. Yes, maybe I even have a water bottle filled with holy water in my refrigerator.

Maybe I don’t have to think like everyone else. Maybe I don’t have to act like everyone else. Maybe not everything I do has to be conventional.

But maybe, that’s just the best thing to be.