michele - lafayette, Louisiana
Themes: change, purpose

Graduating from college is something that always seemed like a long way off. Alas, the day finally came, followed by the usual question, “What comes next”? I earned a degree in Psychology, and to be honest, there is not much that can be done with a B. A in Psychology. I applied to graduate school at my local university and found out I was not accepted. This was heartbreaking to me, terrifying to some extent. My dream and goal was to assist people in making their lives more enjoyable, livable and worthwhile. But I knew this could not be done unless I was accepted into some type of graduate program. My denial into graduate school was a large obstacle for me to overcome; if I could not obtain my life-long dream, what was my purpose, my mission? What good was I? Had I busted my butt for four and a half years to earn a degree and then get involved in some profession or job that had nothing to do with my passion? I found another university close by with a Social Work program, one which I assumed I would never be accepted into after my first attempt at admission to a graduate school. I scrambled, planned and organized all the necessary paperwork, sent it off and waited in nervous, anxious anticipation for the results. I will never forget the day I found out the answer. I had some type of strange feeling I would hear, one way or the other, about my acceptance. I remember the heat as I walked to my mail box and the knot in the pit of my stomach as my much anticipated letter from the university sat on top of the other envelopes. Not able to contain my curiosity any longer, in the middle of the road, I ripped the envelope open and found an acceptance letter! I screamed and ran into the house to make phone calls. Now I am half way done with this program, one which has challenged me and caused me to grow and adapt as a person. I love it. I love it. I love it. I feel as though I am where I belong and that being denied entrance into one university put me on the path in my life that I was meant to be on. I feel my heart is in the right place and I will find fulfillment in the area of Social Work. We had to try again when we fail, pick ourselves up when we fall and overcome any doubt in ourselves that we have. You never know what life will bring you, but you have to believe that it is meant to be that way, even if you cannot see it at that moment. You have to believe.