Stop Complaining

Miguel - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe in words. Words are powerful stuff. There are good words and bad words. The best words I think a person could hear are “Good job,” “Way to go,” and “You are awesome.” The worst words you could hear are “You should have never been born,” “You are worthless,” and the infamous, “You were a mistake. I wish I could take you back.”

Now the bad words have never been told to me but to a friend. I felt sorry for her when I found out that her dad was drunk and told her that she was a mistake. I wondered why he would say that. No one should ever tell their child that they are worthless. I complain about little stuff like chores, having annoying little cousins and little things like that. So after I listened to my friend’s story, I thought, “Wow, my life is pretty good compared to hers.” I sometimes complain about not being able to get my way. I’m lucky that I even get my way. I’m lucky because my parents love me no matter what. Yeah, I get annoying and I complain a lot, but after I heard her story, I had to cheer her up. She has done so many things to make me feel like I belong. So I told her if it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have met the people I know. I wouldn’t be the person I am today. She quickly cheered up. So the lesson of the story is that words can really make or break you.

For someone who has a good life, I complain a lot. So all you girls in the Hills, just because your boyfriend broke up with you, or your lipstick rolled under the couch and you can’t reach it, you can always find another boyfriend and go to the Dollar Store and get a new lipstick. And all you guys complaining that your team’s quarterback sucks, just show him /her to do. You have your whole life ahead of you.

So stop complaining about the small stuff and start helping others in a time of need. To those people who need help, just ask for it. Some people will ignore you, but I’m pretty sure there will be someone there to help you with your troubles. So let’s give a hand to people in need. My friend’s dad never abused her, thank God. The sad thing is that I had to learn that my life was good because of my friend’s suffering.

So what I’m trying to say is that it’s okay to complain, as long as it’s something worth complaining about.