Alicia - Duluth, Minnesota
Themes: love

I believe in True Love.

I believe in true love. Its not the love you read about in fairy tales nor does the true love I believe in always have happy endings. Its not about the finding the right man or woman to be with or your heart melting. It is not the electrical feeling you are suppose to feel when you meet the “one.” The true love I believe in is found in strength, courage, generosity, consideration, and other selfless acts people perform.

True love is strength. It is the women who protects herself and her children from her abusive husband. She takes her children in the middle of the night while he is away and leaves him. She has no money and just the clothes on her back. Her love for her children is so strong she has no fear, as she begins her new life in the women’s shelter. That is true love.

True love is courage. It is the one who steps in to protect the boy who is being made fun of. Kids surround him, taunt him and call him names. He beings to cry. Someone see his tears, steps in and pulls him out of the midst of the kids that are surrounding him. His rescuer a popular one in class is still willing to become his friend. That is true love.

True love is generosity It is in the grandmother’s compassion for the husband and wife who struggle to make ends meet. They barely have enough money to manage each month. They wonder where they are going to get money to buy groceries for their next meal when their grandmother steps in and provides them a gift card to supermarket. She never asks for anything in return. She gives them one each month to help them feed their family. Each time she provides one for them, they wonder what would they do with out her. That is true love.

True love is consideration. It is the man who stops to help a women whose car is trapped the snow even though it is cold outside and the temperature is dropping at a fast rate and snow is falling rapidly. He pulls his truck over and taps on her window; he asks her if she wants some help. She says she does and he straps on a tow cable and pulls her out of the snow. She tries to offer him some money, but he just shakes his head no and says, “I know if I ever needed help, you would stop for me.” He then gets into his truck and drives away. That is true love.

True love is the simple things in life that people do for each other every day without asking for anything in return. It’s the selfless acts people perform, is what I consider true love. This is what I believe.