Beautifully Woven Women

Caitlyn - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe that all women are beautiful. All women. Regardless of their ethnicity or how old they are.

Just the other day I was skipping through the pages of teen magazines. I saw all kinds of girls. They were all different ethnicities and had different hair colors. But there was one thing in common with all of them. They were all were skinny and tall also very pretty. Like models. It really made me feel uncomfortable with my image.

I went home that day, not thinking anything about what I saw in the magazines. I turned on the TV and there was the same type of girls; tall, skinny, pretty. They were in hair and makeup for the Fashion Runway. I saw how they looked. They looked different, different meaning sort of unnatural. Their faces were discolored a little, and there was one girl who had no eyelashes. I thought to myself, “Wow, they’re kinda odd!” Without all of that fake stuff, like hair extensions and makeup, they would have looked a little like normal people. Then I thought about all those girls who have very low self-esteem because of what the media portrays, but what if they saw how normal those models looked? Would they stop being self-conscious about how they look, and would they realize that they are beautiful?

Until about a few moths ago, I was had really low self-esteem. I thought that everything had to be perfect. My hair, my clothes, and my makeup. I was really afraid of what people would think of me. I was always checking to see if everything was perfect.

One day sense came to me when my friend told me, “Why do you always check yourself in the mirror? You’re really pretty; you don’t need to do that!”

I went home and I looked in the mirror. My face had tons of makeup. I washed it off and thought, “Wow, she is right!”

I was at school the next day and lots of people told me that I looked better in makeup, but I didn’t let that get me down. I knew that I was beautiful without makeup.

I think what the media portrays as “beautiful” is stupid. They never talk about normal girls being beautiful. It seems like they are telling you, “This is how you should look. If you don’t look this way, you are ugly!”

All women are beautiful, whether it’s their personality, their looks, or both. And this, I completely believe.