The Healing Power of Friendship

Savana - Antioch, Illinois

My dad always told me not to argue with the ones you love; they won’t be around forever. As I look back on what he said now that a close aunt of mine was killed by cancer and my grandma as had a stroke, I realize that there are hard times in life. There are also people in my life who help me through these times that my dad knew would come even as I felt invincible. Without my friends, the last few months would have been difficult and lonely. My grandma’s near death experience and an emotional and physical ride from a surgery left me frustrated I thank God my friends were there to help me through those times.

When my grandma had a stroke in October, my best friend, Melissa, and I were the ones to find her in her truck. She was taken up to the emergency room where, shortly after, I was there with her. She was barely hanging on and could hardly talk. My grandma having played a huge role in my raising, seeing her like this hit me hard. The next day was rough on everyone; my mom called to tell me that we would be extremely lucky if my grandma made it. Melissa knew I would be home alone and it would be tough; she asked me to spend the night. We didn’t talk about what happened or anything like that. I was grateful for it. I had done enough thinking and needed a break from the pain.

Shortly after my grandma was hospitalized, I discovered I needed knee surgery. I had always had knee problems, but I am also an aspiring volleyball player. The other four people going for my varsity starting spot would now have an advantage over me if I had this surgery. I was very frustrated and wasn’t sure of what to do. All of my friends have given me the motivation to keep fighting, to work on therapy, and to make myself better for next season. Through my many frustrations, they convinced me that surgery could help my previous pain subside and allow me to practice and play better. The therapy and emotional hardships that I have faced have been difficult for me, but the never-ending support of my close friends has gotten me through everything.

All of the bad things in my life are made a little bit better because my friends are always there to love, support, and comfort me. These times would have been immensely difficult to handle emotionally if I was without them. For this I am forever and eternally grateful. This is why I believe in the healing power of friendship.