Better Healthcare assistance

DeShawn - Richmond, Virginia

I believe that healthcare should be in free in the United States. Every day, many Americans struggle to pay for their insurance or many may avoid the hospitals and doctors because they cannot afford it. In Canada, the health care is free and the medications are provided to them with no hesitation. The treatment they provide includes the treatment, therapy, and outpatient follow ups.

Recently, my boyfriend was hospitalized after a spider bit his leg and it became infected with MRSA. For three days he avoided the hospital because he doesn’t have health insurance and was afraid of the cost of treatment. Daily, many people continue to do the same thing not realizing that they are putting themselves at more risk. When he was registered for his room, the doctors immediately asked about payment. At the time we were more concerned about what type of treatment was offered.

My first thought was, “Is the cost more important than the treatment?” How could someone refuse to treat a patient because they aren’t insured? Early on I began to notice how some doctors and nurses provided little to no care for him. Most of the time the nurses came in and directed me the steps to helping take care of his leg because they had other patients.

I believe although the nurses say that the uninsured and the insured patients are treated the same, the insured have a higher standing in the hospital. I know that if he had health care insurance the nurses wouldn’t have ignored him, or have showed me how to change and insert the dressing in his wound.

Also I noticed that when the doctors would request the medication for his pain they would give him the generic brand. Why is the cost so important? At that time, I reminded the nurse that the cost would be paid for and to treat him as they treat others. Where does the idea of treating others unfairly in a hospital come from? All doctors and nurses enter the medical field to help others no matter what the circumstance but in this situation it was different.

The hospital financial services provided little help towards his medical bill. Overall his medication came up to $1,700. The hospital has yet to send the hospital bill but it is expected at $17,000 or more. I believe that the hospital should have helped more with seeking health care insurance while he was held in the hospital.

In addition to many people not having health insurance the risk of their health affects their everyday lifestyle at school or work. For instance, my boyfriend missed one week of school and work. Every day I had to take care of his knee and provide assistance with everything. Although it wasn’t my responsibility, since the hospital could no longer care for him I had to offer some assistance. Even though it affected some parts of my day, this experience leads me to believe that our physicians and nurses should care more for their patients.