Emily - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: injustice

I believe that people shouldn’t be killed for their crimes, no matter what it is that certain person does, they don’t deserve the death penalty. I live in the state of New Mexico which is one of the states that banned the death penalty. In our country though, there are still many states that accept or enforce it. Those states that have banned the death penalty must understand the cruelty and sadness it brings to the families of the ones in their community. The law, which we created, killed them because we never found the strength to forgive a stranger.

I have many friends and family members that have gone to prison, and each time I hear they are locked up, I wonder if their penalty will be death. Some of my aunts and uncles have done drugs, leading to larger troubles and worse punishments. With the Iraqis, we are capturing and sentencing them to death because of our war. It is not fair to kill anyone when this war is equally our fault. On TV I was watching the world news and saw that we sentenced an Iraqi to the death penalty for fighting our soldiers. That person could have been protecting his family as we protect our families here. I think of the Iraqis as family in a way because we are all human. The war to me is like hunting down and destroying a distant family. You always forgive your family and because I think of all humans as family, I would be able to forgive the strangers whom we are at war with.

When the world first started there were not all of these laws that we have now. God gave us Ten Commandments to follow which were like the ten original laws that we had to follow. The punishments for not following them were never death because God put us here. Morals and other good lessons were taught. Now they are almost forgotten, and we have no problem putting people to death. If someone I knew was going to be put to death for his crimes or wrongdoings, I would try or do anything to get him out of it.

I believe that God brought us into this world. He should be the only one to take us out of it, not our crimes and our ridiculous laws that send us to death.