Overcoming Struggles

Liz - Hamburg, New York

I believe in the power of friendship. I believe that friendship can help people overcome their struggles and their problems.

I believe that while someone has a friend or a trusted individual that they confide in, that they can take their problems and get better with the help of a friend who they’re not afraid to tell their problems to. If everyone had someone that they can talk to about their problems, then the world might be just that better so that we don’t have to fight anymore. Talking, venting, crying, just getting rid of whatever’s in your head could very well be the key that makes people trust and believe that they can overcome their problems and their insecurities and find the strength to do the things they want to do in life.

When I was younger, I was very antisocial and I didn’t care anymore about what happened to me. I even contemplated suicide to get rid of my problems because I didn’t want to hurt anymore. I didn’t want to continue this, but I had no one to help me. No one. No one even cared and this is when I had a really bad time dealing with life in general because I was constantly acting out, I was often landing myself in detention, I just really wanted someone to listen to me because I needed help. I wanted to get better. I wanted a release and I found that release through the internet when I found others who had the same problems as me. Finally, I had people I could relate to. This was, to me, my release not physically, but mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Eventually, I became happier and happier.

A lot of people are asking for help, a lot of voices are going unheard of every minute and yet without them finding the strength that they have in their own voice, they cannot find the same kind of help that I found to be who I am today. If they don’t ask for help, then they can’t change themselves. It doesn’t come from other people, however. It comes from the surety that you actually WANT to change and get better. All it starts with is you. I’m glad that I didn’t go down that destructive path and rather found an outlet for all that anger, for all that angst and for all that pain that I had put myself through. I could do this by the friendship that others gave me and the trust that I could put in myself to change.