the truth and nothing but the truth

john - pawtucket, Rhode Island
Themes: integrity

We’ve all done it. myself, you, Mom, Dad, him, her, pastor Bob, the guy who works at home depot. We have lied, like the rug we walk on at home we lied. You might think “well if a lie can get me out of trouble then why not lie?” And the answer to that is simple for instance when I have lied in the past I was not only lying to that person and or group I was lying to myself, and when you have lied to someone you lied to yourself as well. One lie can do more then get myself out of trouble. This little lie could determine the rest of anyone’s day, week, month, and year.

Now as a reader your probably thinking “how is this guy going to tell me not to lie?” and your right I really have no right telling you how to do things, I am just trying to help you not make the same mistake that I did.

During 8th grade I was going out with this girl, it was about 1 month into the relationship and in all honesty I didn’t care as much as I said I did. All I knew was that saying three little words I didn’t mean made me the best boyfriend in the world.

One day on a cold autumn afternoon I was asked to hangout at her house her Mom didn’t get home from work till later, her Dad was involved in the marines. And her older brother was going to be going to his friend’s house that after noon. We were alone in her room “watching TV” and things got, well exciting. As time progressed I knew I wasn’t going to score the game winner with out the Hail Mary, the long shot, the final attempt to put the numbers on the board. With out three last points! Or in other words I wasn’t going to get lucky unless I said “I love you”. So without thinking I did.

As I walked home that night with a skip in my step and a grin on my face I thought to myself “I am the man”. I walked into my house I hugged my Mom walked into my room turned on my radio laid down and thought to myself again. “I am the man”

As the weekend progressed some things were said that shouldn’t of and some people knew things. Well the weekend ended and I received a call with the girl crying telling me it was over, because I told people and I lied about saying I love you. I didn’t really think much of it I just knew that I got what I wanted so hey who cared right? No horribly wrong!

Monday after noon I walked out of school getting ready to walk home I saw her brother. Without thinking I went to walk right past him and he got in my face yelled at me and pushed me on the ground. As I was on the ground he proceeded to yell and kick me in the stomach and chest.

Now looking back I now realized what I did believe in “a lie will get me what I want.” And that was wrong. After dealing with things in the 9th through 12th grade I now know what I believe in and “being honest” is my belief. Sure some people won’t like how honest I can be about things and some people still wont believe me but at least I will know what I feel and believe is how I feel and more importantly the truth.