ONCE EVERY ONE THOUSAND YEARS

Brenda - San Luis Obispo, California
Themes: birth, family

Once every One Thousand Years.

Dear Fatima,

It’s amazing how much you have grown since July 15, 2007. Your birth was the miracle of love giving your father and me the eternal gift of life. You came into this world loved since your inception. The planning, shopping, all in preparation of your arrival into our arms. It’s been almost two years since you were born and during this time, you learned to laugh, cry, and smile, to crawl; to walk, and to speak. Every day you do new things that are amazing and incredible always unbelievable. And more amazing yet I believe you have the strength to become bilingual speaking both your native tongue Spanish and English. Who knows, you might learn other languages as well. This I believe.

Last August of 2008 you started attending day care for the first time; it was a new experience full of emotions, wonder, exploration and full of new discoveries for you. On the first day I saw your face full of happiness, shinning like the rising sun. Your happiness was contagious infecting everyone who came upon your most beautiful smile. For the first time in your 15 months of life you were interacting and socializing with other beautiful babies like yourself. You could not stop smiling, or laughing to see so many kids of your age, having so much fun and this made me happy. I was happy for you, because this was a new beginning in your life, the beginning of your social life.

However, at the end of the day I saw the frustration on your face, you could not communicate with the other children because for the first 15 months of your life, your father and I spoke to you in Spanish. Your face looked like a dying little rose waiting to be revived by the fresh water of a kiss from mommy. This is not a worry, you will be bilingual, and this I believe.

You are the smartest and most gentle gift who arrives only once every one thousand years. You are a rare soul who will achieve the unbelievable; speaking both English and Spanish will be two of the many gifts given to those only like you. This I believe.

Life has brought you Fatima, my daughter, my heart, my soul, my gift, into the arms of the most blessed family on the face of the earth. I shall nurture you into the beautiful tree you shall become. You will spread your roots into the earth, and replenish the gift given to you, life. Your joy and happiness creates wonder in the heart of all humankind and gives us the hope for a better tomorrow. You are a rare soul indeed, this I believe.

Oh Fatima, your joy eludes and surrounds those who see your divine smile. Your laughter makes every sorrow of this world disappear. Fatima, the child of virtue and antiquity, the child which arrives once every one thousand years, this I believe.