We Are the Acorns

Aisha - Dummerston, Vermont

I love my parents, I always have, but when I was in high school it became very hard to love them all the time. I had lived with them my whole life, they were always around me, they always wanted to be involved in everything I was doing, and it became very hard for me to deal with that, as I was beginning to crave independence from them. They would always come up with rules and restrictions that I found ridiculous and would refuse to adhere to, making them angry, and thus producing more frustrating rules. It was a vicious cycle. By the end of my high school career, it was difficult for me to even be around them without a fight or hassle. I sought solace outside of my home, and when I found it, I never wanted to go back. My parents became an expendable resource of sorts, a roof over my head and warm food whenever I needed it to be there. It was simply not right. So when I got the option of going to Boise State, a huge move from Vermont on the east coast, to the other side of the country, I took it. My parents fought me every step of the way, “We won’t help with money! Too many things can go wrong.” They threw me endless threats, and hypothetically awful situations, it hurt my feelings to see them so set against me, but I was set in my decision, my relentless urge to get OUT would not be stirred. Once they saw that, they grudgingly agreed and accepted my departure.

This past year has given me a massive chance to grow up and become my own person. I have learned an infinite amount about myself, and an infinite amount about my parents. I know now that the only crime they were ever guilty of was loving me too much; they just weren’t sure exactly how to show their love in a way I would accept it. I needed my space to learn to love them back, because of this whole experience my belief is that after high school, teenagers should leave home, whether it be to go to college, travel, or just to get their own living space and join the workforce, teens need to leave the nest to learn about themselves. When removed from the comfort zone of a parent’s home, it instills a deep appreciation for the life that was lived in the house you grew up in. You come to know exactly how much your parents did for you and how much love they truly have for you. It is extremely humbling, and yet strangely liberating. I have accepted the fact that although I thought I was tearing up my roots in an attempt to find a new place to call home, I only ended up finding that my roots go way deeper than I previously thought. As an example an oak tree drops an acorn, the acorn, the tree’s child of sorts, is swept by wind and the elements away from the parent tree so it is not suffocated by the shade of its own parent. By encountering this distance, the acorn grows into another oak tree, much is like my belief that we, the next generation, the acorns to our parent oak trees must be left to our own devices to grow apart.