I Believe I Will Live Forever…

Kimberly - boise, Idaho

As children, we tend to only see what is closest to us. We do not dig down deep or think of the bigger picture. That is what being a child is all about. Childhood is meant for living simply. Over the years, our view on life tends to go from simple to complex without us ever realizing how or where our beliefs come from. Making a list of things I believed when I was ten, and comparing it to a list of things I believe now at 18, makes me wonder, when do the changes take place? It’s as if I woke up one morning, believing everything was different than I had thought the day before. One does not know when their beliefs change, or can pinpoint exactly what made them think a certain way. It just happens. It is a part of growing up. Some things are let downs, like learning that Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy were really mom and dad. But as children we naturally believe that anything and everything is possible. Growing into an adult, however, I have had many realizations about what life is and how I fit into it. For the most part, I still feel that anything is possible; I just might have to go about things a little differently than I thought I could as a child. At ten years old I believed that:

1. Mom was perfect and never made mistakes

2. Play dough was like gold and my creations were worth hundreds

3. School was actually kind of fun

4. Sneaking cheese to the dog was perfectly okay

5. Teachers knew everything

6. Bumblebees were monsters

7. Visiting my grandparents meant lots of fun

8. Summertime meant no work and no worries

9. Eating junk food would not make me gain weight

10. Love was something meant for family

11. School was for learning – not for socializing

12. There was nothing wrong with having all the lights on

13. Cursive writing was real writing

14. Money grew on trees

15. Three meals a day was the only way

16. Singing at the top of my lungs was beautiful

17. The best jewelry was made from string and beads

18. Reading was fun

19. Kids meals had fun toys

20. Hiding under the covers made monsters disappear

Back then, life was easy and it did not take much thought. I was a happy kid and all I wanted to do was hang out with my friends at the park. The biggest problem I had was if I was going to miss my favorite TV show or not. Over time, I have come to realize that the things we think matter, probably don’t, and the things that do matter are very far and in between. There are things that have held true over the years, but what I believe most, are things that I was not taught in school, but that I have felt in my heart. I believe:

1. Mom is still perfect even though I realize she makes mistakes sometimes

2. There is more than one type of love

3. Love is the only thing that is free and it conquers all

4. It is okay to cry, but not to whine

5. There is good in everybody – even those who have made very bad mistakes

6. Money doesn’t grow on trees, but it does come easier to some than to others

7. Life happens as it should – there are some things we simply cannot change

8. Love is worth more than anything money could ever buy

9. It is okay to start out small and work towards bigger things

10. Patience is golden

11. Teachers don’t always know the answer, but who honestly does?

12. Summers out of school mean more hours at work

13. Reading would be fun if I had time to do it

14. In real life, fairytales do not ring true, but we can all make our own happy endings

15. Having an open mind gets you places you could not go otherwise

16. Sleep is now a blessing, not a punishment

17. The best jewelry is not made by me, but is my engagement ring for what it symbolizes

18. Staying up late is a necessity not a reward

19. Bumble bees are still monsters

20. And I still sing at the top of my lungs, now I just do not believe it to be beautiful

We are born who we are supposed to be. We all have our own special traits and quirks, but one thing that is true is that we all change over time. Our experiences help us see life more clearly and allow us to focus on what is uniquely important to us as individuals. Our beliefs may continue to change the older we get, but the ones that stay in your heart as time progresses are what truly define you.