The Strength of a Mother

Jenna - Eagle, Idaho

It seems like mothers always know everything about anything. When you lose your sock, your mom knows just where it is, or when you get into an argument with a friend, your mom always knows just what to say to make it all go away. That is what moms are for: to make your troubles disappear and your dreams a reality.

The birth of my oldest brother came unexpected and sooner than my mother had hoped for. She was only eighteen years old with no money saved and no husband to support her or my brother. She found herself alone and afraid. Nonetheless, she found a way to make things work and she loved my brother just the same as if she would have conceived him later in life. My mother’s boyfriend, the father of both me and my oldest brother, was never there for her and never there for my brother. Still, my mother chose to stay with him. Three years after my brother’s birth, I was brought into this world. My mother, still lacking a foundation for anything, raised me and loved me just as she did with my brother. A few short years later, my mother and father split up.

My mother, my brother, and I were alone with nowhere to go. I can remember the fear that my mother had for us. We spent many nights with my mother’s friends until she could figure out where to go. Eventually, we managed to move into a trailer home. We lived there for about a year, living off of Wonder Bread and grape soda pop. I can remember my mother tearing up bits and pieces of bread and putting them into a bowl with milk and telling us that it was cereal. It sounds disgusting, but it was all we could afford and I grew to enjoy it.

When I was four years old, my mother met my stepfather. They immediately moved in together, and I can remember not being too thrilled about that. I had learned at a young age that you cannot depend on a man, so having one live in our home was not something that I wanted to accept. After years and years of arguing, we finally got along. Things picked up after that. My stepfather was a successful salesman and my mother eventually became a realtor and a property manager. It was a rough journey for my mother, but she made it through, and she was able to give my brother and me more love and affection than I thought was possible.

My mother and I have grown so close over the years and I think a lot of it has to do with the conditions in which my brother and I were raised. Since we could not afford all of the things that other families could, such as television or visiting theme parks, we were forced to spend time together. Our only options for entertainment involved something to do with person-to-person interaction. My mom taught my brother and me songs that she knew as a kid and told us stories of a land made out of candy and the evil liver monster that lived under the bridge. These are memories that will stick with me forever.

Whenever I am feeling like I have too much on my plate or like my job is just too hard. I think back to my mother’s story and the duty of motherhood. My mother accomplished so much with so little, and someday I wish I could show the amount of strength that she does.