Amanda - USA

I believe that some things in life are not meant to go as planned. I believe that a stronger power has ultimate control over our lives and will prevent you from furthering in one area so that he can guide you to your true calling, whatever that may be.

I worked for months trying to perfect my riding skills so that I could proceed from Show Jumping Rally to Qualifying to Championships in Lexington, KY. I took weekly riding lessons only focusing on different obstacles that I might encounter at the rally during any one of the four rounds I must complete to qualify for championships. I took my horse, Player, to different riding facilities in a hope to get him accustomed to new locations enough so that once we finally show up at the rally, he would not be timid and will be able to perform at his optimum level.

Player was perfect and endured the months of training like a real trooper. He didn’t mind going to new places and I really felt that I was finally going to make it to Championships. The competition phase didn’t start till Sunday, and on Saturday all competitors were to participate in a clinic. Player was calm and did everything I asked of him during our lesson.

Something was apparently in the air that cool Sunday morning. I was warming up and Player was a little more animated than usual, I was adamant that he would calm down and everything would be fine, and therefore I just planned to ride it out.

We got in the ring for the first round and everything was not fine. Player was a basket case and would not listen to anything I tried to get him to do. We made it through the most complicated part of the round and we were almost in the home stretch, me just trying to hang on and somehow get him from one jump to the next. I lost my balance and my weight in the stirrup was altered, not for the better. It felt like I went over the jump on Player’s side only to plummet, three jumps to go, to the hard sand where I lost consciousness. Player gallops off screaming towards no particular destination. My mother leaps over the fence only to realize my current state and called for the EMT. I was rushed to the hospital to get a CT scan only to reveal I had a minor concussion and just a few bruises.

I came back from my exciting trip to face all my hard work that I dutifully committed to for months only to be vanished down the drain. I was upset that I didn’t succeed in what I have been trying to for months, but I didn’t regret the work I put into it. I truly believe that I was not meant to go to Championships. The entire ordeal made me realize that showing is not my passion. I want to just be able to ride and enjoy my horse without the pressure of presenting to the world my ability to ride. I enjoy just trail riding and being able to relax without the stress of succeeding in a particular area and that is one of the best decision that I have made.