Spontaneous Adventure

Mariah - waxhaw, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

For the past nine summers my family and I have made the long, excruciating drive from our house in North Carolina to my grandparents in New York. From my house to my grandparents house is 833 miles. For those of you who don’t travel that’s around thirteen hours. For six years each trip was made in a huge diesel van. But this wasn’t just any diesel van… it was special. Not only was the air conditioning broken, there was no radio, the windows let barely any air in, no seatbelts, and not nearly enough room for 8 people and 10 suitcases. On one trip it was about one hundred degrees outside and we were in about five miles of completely stalled traffic and hadn’t moved for a good ten minutes so far. Me and my sisters had stripped all the clothes we could have without being indecent and were still pouring down sweat. By now we are all aggravated and the two youngest were about to be kicked out of the car. About this time my mom had the brilliant idea to have a picnic. All of us eager to get out of the van were ecstatic at this idea. Near our van we found relief in the only shade available which was provided by an abnormally large tractor trailer. So there in the middle of 81, a major interstate with four lanes, me and the seven other members of my family sat on a blanket in the shade of a tractor trailer. Our picnic consisted of a mere ham and cheese sandwiches, grapes, and juice boxes but I can honestly say it was the most memorable. One moment we were grouchy and hot tempered and the next we were laughing our heads of in the middle of an interstate. I believe this moment is one that everyone can relate to. When preparing for a family trip or friendly outing planning can only account for half of the fun you have. The moments that were unexpected are the ones that will make every experience worth while. The car breaking down and walking for miles or a free pizza paid for by the cute guys next door. Whatever the experience whether god or bad, you will most likely look back on and smile even if at the time it was far from being funny. Spontaneous moments make life more exciting, this I believe.