A Slice of Life

Bradford - Flowery Branch, Georgia

I believe in pizza. I believe that we are merely a single part of a greater whole. Pizza can be a solitary form of nutriment to be hoarded to soothe your own gluttony, however when it is shared it becomes much more. All differences are set aside if for only one moment, as we all enjoy the comfort of a delicious slice. Charity, community, a uniquely human social experience, pizza is the essence of harmony. At some points during our lives we must all realize that nothing divides us besides the space between a handshake and that no one person is substantially different that anyone else. World peace may be a fantasy, but believing in pizza can do nothing but help.

I have been passionate about food my entire life, always searching for the next best thing. From caviar to poi and everything in between food has always been my number one pastime. But my favorite food of all is pizza, a hodgepodge mix of meat, fruit, vegetables, bread, and dairy. Pizza has everything necessary to sustain life all in one easy to consume form. From a base of flour and water a complex and countless number of concoctions can be derived with various scents, flavors, and colors. It is no surprise that life itself is in one way or another, a pizza of sorts. Like ingredients of a pie, humanity is varied, colorful, and unique. All people are different, and ultimately produce something beautiful and uniquely their own. A pizza without toppings is a boring affair in my opinion, just as life without variety is dull and monotonous. I love pizza because I love diversity and cohesion.

How much can we learn from a pizza? Throughout human history, socioeconomic turmoil has governed our planet from slavery in the west to genocide in the east. People have killed, tortured, imprisoned, over fickle human creations such as borders, religions, and races, the question is why? Why do we fight over things that have no true relevance? Borders are nothing more than lines drawn in sand; religion is a pathetic human attempt at explaining the unknown with fantasy; and skin color; has no purpose whatsoever other than to give some variety of appearance. Pizza becomes infinitely better the more you diversify it; Pizza is layers of cooperation, and most of all pizza is harmony.

Our leaders could learn much from the lowly pizza, a world without turmoil, hatred, or oppression; a world with delicious food to eat and interesting people to talk to; a world where the only thing that divides us is the distance between the slices. I have found pizza to be a great analogy to the earth, and the myriad peoples that live within it. Perhaps when we are ready to listen, pizza will be ready to teach.