Sherri - Advance, North Carolina

Have you ever wondered what good deed could be done for an animal? Saving a life – how spectacular is that? As I took the collar off from around my dog’s neck and looked at the different charms that hung from it. One in particular spoke to me. It is the shape of a bone and simply says “Best Friend.”

About five years ago my family and I went to “The Pet Expo,” which is a wonderful place where one can go (in California) to view all of the different animals up for adoption. These animals range from those separated from the owners due to natural disasters like hurricane Katrina, to animals who are given to shelters because either their owners have passed on, moved and cannot take them or just simply do not want them anymore.

As we walked around the Fairgrounds, I kept falling in love with these little misfit babies. Since we would only be getting one dog, we had to choose wisely.

We were almost finished going through the last tent and I turned to go up the last isle, when I saw a little black yorkiepoo, who was named “Stuart Little.”

I asked if I could hold him. He was so cute and sweet. He was shaking terribly.

The lady said, “He has been here all day. You will be the last people to hold him. He is frightened and needs to go home.”

Who could help but to fall in love with this precious pup with a poodle body, yorkie ears and a feather duster for a tail. He was so sweet, the kindest, most loving little guy you would want to meet. Right then and there we filled out the adoption paperwork.

“Stuart Little” was not his real name. The people at “Underdog Rescue” gave him the name and when we adopted him, we took some time to find just the perfect name for him. The more we looked at him, the more we decided his ears reminded us of “Eddie Munster” from “The Munsters” hence, the name “Eddie.”

Eddie is such a happy go lucky little dog. He is full of love and affection, a total lap dog, and is happy to be with me no matter where I am. He has brought so much love and joy to our family.

I know for me there is no better feeling then saving the life of an animal who cannot protect itself. They will appreciate you for the rest of their lives. They will love you unconditionally, be loyal and faithful companions. I am an avid supporter of both the Humane Society and the ASPCA.

In closing, I ask if you are looking for a pet, please consider taking a stand, save a life and teach a child about the unconditional love of an animal, it is my belief you will not be sorry. Please give a pet a loving home.