I Believe in Taking One Day at a Time

Abby - Monroe, North Carolina

I believe in taking one day at a time. When I was a little girl, I had the ideal life. It seemed like I had every Barbie made and the clothes to go with them. I got pretty much everything I could ask for and I had it made. My mother and father were amazing parents, but as time progressed, my father’s anger problem worsened. He didn’t abuse my mother and I, of which I am grateful because I have witnessed horrible, terrifying physical and mental abuse through friends. If all of my toys weren’t cleaned up or if I spilled my drink, he would freak out and yell at me for what I did even though it wasn’t the end of the world and I was just beginning to learn right from wrong in my young life. Each time this would happen, I would get frightened and he would comfort me. This rollercoaster of emotions was more than my mother could bear. She packed our things and we went to live at my grandparent’s house.

Though I was young, I could see the frustration in her face, but I could also see the determination stirring deep within her. She was driven from deep down in her soul to do the best she could to make this new and different life easier for me. I watched her balance a child, a full-time job, and a search for a new house for a long time and I can honestly say that even though she may have stumbled, I never once saw her fall. She kept going and never gave up and always took one day at a time. My family and my mother’s friends supported her as she put in countless, never ending nights and many hours of hard work to make this drastic change seem so easy. I’m not sure that this obstacle could have been overcome if she hadn’t truly taken one step at a time.

As I have grown up through childhood and my teenage years, there have been many instances where I could have just thrown in the towel or rushed into and through something that required time. Although this could have been my choice, it never has been. By seeing my mother battle through every problem that she faced, I have become a better and more driven person. I would not have many of the things that I possess now if it were not for my mother and the valuable lesson that she has burned deep inside of me. She is the reason that through everything I encounter, whether the issue is big or small, important or almost insignificant, I believe in taking one day at a time.