Be Your Best Self

Emily - USA

I often find myself trying to live up to other people’s expectations. It is hard constantly comparing myself to the looks and abilities of others. Sometimes I worry if I am pretty enough or even smart enough to be in the same room as other people. I hear my parents tell me that I should get all A’s and my friends tell me that I should wear my hair a certain way, or not to wear that dress, but at end of the day, I am still me. You see, it isn’t about being someone else’s vision of you, but being yourself. This I believe in, being your best self, being the person I want to be.

Being your best self isn’t about winning, it’s about a feeling of accomplishment, like the one I felt when I finally finished my Girl Scout Gold Award. I have been a girl scout for 14 years now, through this program I have travelled the world, shared experiences I would have never known, but mostly I have grown into a woman of confidence, character, and courage. Being a Girl Scout throughout high school and middle school was no easy feat. Even through the constant questions about cookies, and the jokes about the uniform, I stayed true to myself and to my organization. Even when it might have been labeled as ‘uncool’, I was never embarrassed, and wore my badges with pride. This is only possible when you truly believe in yourself. Because I wanted the best for myself, and because I wanted to earn my Girl Scout Gold Award not to prove something to other people, but to prove something to myself, I was able to complete the 150 hour project successfully. To complete my project, I had to delve inside of who I was, and without an overwhelming sense of confidence and pride in who I was, this goal would never have been accomplished. My belief in myself has led me to success, and it has also helped me accept failure.

Even though I am very proud of this honor, prizes don’t make people, but being the best that I can possibly be makes me a better person. Life doesn’t always turn out exactly as you originally expected, but by realizing your potential, you are a winner even when you are not. I often find myself trying to live up to other people’s expectations. It is hard constantly comparing myself to the looks and abilities of others, but then I remember that I am the best I can be. This I believe in.