Chelsea - Waxhaw, North Carolina

Magical carpets, mermaids, talking trees and animals, princes and princesses. Just imagine all the possibilities of adventure. I believe in Disney.

Up until i was eight years old that’s really all they were, just magical movies. I’ve always loved them even before i really understood their importance to me. My parents got divorced in 2000 and i was completely lost. Everything was changing and out of my control.

My dad moved out pretty quickly, he took my shmowdy and moved to Raleigh. My mom had to start working and wasn’t there as much as we wanted her to be. No more rides to school or chaperoning field trips. I just wanted something to be the same as it was before. I wanted something unchangeable.

One night after dinner i went to my room and started watching The Little Mermaid, and to my surprise it was exactly the same as it was the last time i saw it. Nothing had changed at all. Ariel still loved Eric, Sebastian was still uptight, and Flounder was still afraid of everything. Even though King Tritan was totally against Ariel and Eric in the beginning, he got over it, and was actually ok in the end. It made me think i would be ok after all this divorced stuff is over, and that gave me hope.

I came to realize every movie i watched hadn’t changed. The magic carpet still flew, Cinderella still got her prince charming, and they still caught Cruela Devil. No matter which one i put into my VHS player they were exactly the same as before my life had made this altering twist, they were what i needed, they were unchangeable.

This became a ritual for me, anytime i was upset or just needed to relax i would pop in a video and everything would be ok again. Disney makes me imagine all the great things in life, adventure, strength, love, and hope. It reminds me that good things can happen to me too, they can happen to anyone.

Disney is the only thing that has been constant in my life, and to this day still is. Whenever i’ve had a bad day, i’m ready for my Disney movie when i get home. Disney will always be there for me, unchanging, and forever giving me hope. This i believe.