I believe in me

Sammy - Las Cruces, New Mexico

What I am going to talk about in my essay is what really, really makes me mad. That is when someone thinks they are better than me so they try to put me down. Or if someone puts them down, they still try to put me down. It probably happens to other people and makes them angry too.

I believe in myself because I think I am excellent at sports, but even if I wasn’t good, it doesn’t give a person the right to put other people down. But other people don’t think that, and almost every time I join a group, or if I join a sport, I get put down by someone. In April 2008 I was in Track. Everyone said I wouldn’t do well, but I didn’t listen to them. I believed in myself. I didn’t do well in the first two races, but in the last race, I won 2nd place in the relay race. But if I had listened to them, I wouldn’t have done that well.

In Sixth grade we had to go help pick up some boxes and my friend, or I thought he was my friend, said, “What are you doing? You’re too weak.”

I said, “What? I thought you were my friend? I guess not.”

“I guess not.” The only reason I think he said that is because he was with his “Cool” friends. I never talked to him for the rest of the year and now in 2009 in seventh grade, he doesn’t attend here anymore so that’s good.

Then I joined football in August 2009. Someone said, “Why did you join?” I also didn’t listen to them, but I couldn’t listen to them if I wanted to prove them wrong. Because after the 3rd game, I got injured for the rest of the season. I was a left guard on defense. I got hurt in a drill. I went to go watch the games from the sidelines. That person who had put me down kept getting yelled at by the coach, “Why didn’t you get that guy?” I thought: Why did he tell me that when he has to keep getting corrected by the coach.?

Why I think people try to put others down is because someone else puts them down. They try to take it all out on you to try to make them feel better, and the more the other person puts him down, the more he tries to put you down. So it’s like a chain reaction. Or if his parents put him down, he takes it out on you. If someone tries to put me down, I laugh then say, “Who cares about what you think? You think that’s going to make me quiet?”

What I say to all of you is if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it.