Knowing Love

Kyle - Las Cruces, New Mexico

Knowing Love

I believe in knowledge. Without knowledge life would be a nightmare and no one could do anything because we wouldn’t know how. The reason people are afraid is because they do not want to know something. The reason we are afraid of death is because we do not know, or want to know, what it is.

Courage is the desire to know what most people don’t want to know. For example, I have arachnophobia, which is the fear of spiders. I am afraid of spiders because I don’t know, or want to know, about what they are. If I knew why spiders do what they do, I would probably love them.

The opposite of ignorance is knowledge, and the opposite of fear or hate is love. So fear and ignorance are the same thing and so are knowledge and love. The reason we love is because we know enough about the thing we love that we relate it to ourselves. People who are suicidal or people who hate themselves just don’t know enough about themselves to love. People who are suicidal or hate themselves also cannot truly love another thing; because once someone has known love, only then can they truly love themselves.

Prejudice and discrimination are, in a sense, a “plague” of ignorance because once one person points out a difference that others don’t like, then they start finding other differences and never want to find similarities, or a cure for the “plague”. For example, if an African American walks into a school that has mostly Anglos in it; someone might say that they think he has an ugly skin color. Because of that, someone else will say something else racially offensive or callous. Discrimination spreads fast, like a plague. Once one person makes a comment, and then someone else will naturally make another ignorant comment. But it only takes one person to make a wise or friendly comment to cure the “plague” of ignorance.

Ignorance is deadly. Ignorance has been the cause of many hate crimes and lynchings. Just think, all those deaths are because of fear and ignorance. In medieval times there were killings just because people were afraid of a person who had big differences. If someone grew up to be really tall, then someone would call him, or her, a giant. Then that person would be hunted down and killed, just because people were afraid of him/her. Also with smaller people, they would call them dwarfs and seclude them to the wilderness. Eventually these people would start thinking that they really were monsters and would start their own communities in the forests.

This is why I believe in knowledge, because without it, we would know only hate and fear. Knowledge is the only way out of the living nightmare we are in now. So if everyone knew just a little bit more about each other, then the world would be so much better than it is now.